Saturday, October 6, 2012

I received this great question via my LinkedIn profile the other day and think there are some really valuable...

I received this great question via my LinkedIn profile the other day and think there are some really valuable marketing lessons to be learned and shared... I'm hoping for your insight as well!

------------------ 
How can I convince people that the Endangered History Project will conduct a video oral history of anyone's elderly family member and it costs absolutely nothing - no strings attached? Everyone must think there's a catch when there isn't. Help?
------------------ 

This is an interesting question, Don! Thanks for asking. 

It's always been tough to sell free! Sometimes a cigar is really just a cigar but no one wants to believe it, right? 

I've reviewed your website (love the video of the "photog pranks"), http://oralhistoryinstitute.wordpress.com/, and it is clear that EHP is a beautiful idea; we did the same at a club to which I belong as the oldest members had the best stories and carried the most fascinating history of our 100 year old yacht club in their hearts and minds. 

With that said I've been thinking about this question and a couple of things came to mind: 

I'm an investigator and deal specifically with many types of fraud. My natural inclination is to immediately get a bit suspicious when I see projects that target vulnerable groups of people; the elderly are chief among them. It's easy for me to want to be skeptical but my second reaction is also to investigate - something many people will not do. If the value is not readily apparent and credibility is not established immediately, then suspicious people will easily dismiss your project. It would appear by the inclusion of the phrase "no strings attached" in your question that you've encountered this issue on a number of occasions. 

How to establish credibility and create value is, then, the nucleus of your question... 

First, you have to identify where the barriers are... is it the person you want to interview or is it their family members? Probably both. I would have to imagine that either would require an entirely different approach. I'm not in your business and have not talked to the people who have told you "no," so I'm probably not well-qualified to answer the question on overcoming their specific objections. 

A few things that would help someone like me get passed the skepticism: 

** A dedicated URL/Domain name - that tells me you are a bit more serious and "in business." 

** Your website presents waaaay too much information on the home page - it is more than an eye-full and I had difficulties wanting to absorb it all. Think bullet points, features and benefits. Compel me to want to find out more, then tell me the rest of your story in bite-sized, topic-specific, and digestible chunks of information. The site's look needs updating. 

** Introduce your project in your own 2 minute video. Tell me who YOU are, what the EHP is and why YOU personally think it is important! Nothing breaks down credibility barriers like getting the feeling that we know and understand someone a bit better. Video is the perfect medium through which to make that happen. 

** The question of legitimacy could be answered easily and quickly packaging or bundling the EHP project under the auspices of a non-profit group or foundation. I think we are all inclined to associate a project like this with these types of organizations, which creates, a sense of security. 

Here are some additional thoughts on marketing I had: 

1. Start close to home. Who do you know in your immediate circle of friends and family that would make a perfect candidate for an interview. I find that many people forget to really talk up their own work and projects with friends and family. I think it's natural to make the assumption that people who are otherwise close to us really know what we do and have going on. 

2. Make highlight reels and leverage social media to distribute them. Funny, sweet, emotional and thought provoking short snippets (more so than longer compilation videos) spread like wildfire on Facebook! The right videos will "go viral," showcase your work and move people towards your project. This is how I would do it. 

3. Join a social club and talk about your project. What better way to reach an audience than by speaking to groups of people about your project and showing them some of your videos? I have some friends who are in Rotary and I have to believe that their particular club would go nuts over the EHP; what the EHP is trying to accomplish (and why) align perfectly with Rotary's core principles. 

4. Volunteer at nursing homes. Do great work and get to know people there. I'm certain that some of the residents would love to share their stories and, if you endear yourself to the staff, the nurses probably know who has the best stories to tell. 

5. Find a niche. Perhaps it would be easier to find and convince people of a specific era, interest or topic to take part in your project. It's easier to get over the skepticism when there is a coherent angle or an identifiable reason that people can understand, which leads me to my last point... 

Here's the shocker: 

6. Sell your service. If people have a hard time accepting "free" because they don't understand your motivations, then give them a reason that we all can understand: profit. The psychology seems obvious really. Make it very affordable but not ridiculously cheap, (that would be defeating the purpose) then give away some of your "product" for free as part of your promotion. 

I hope that this has helped to some extent. My very best to you and the Endangered History Project! 

My Best!

L. Scott Harrell
 
#marketing   #marketingtips  
http://oralhistoryinstitute.wordpress.com/

No comments: