Monday, January 20, 2014

Just a reminder to my friends and colleagues in the Land of the Free - UAVs (drones, RC copters, etc) are NOT...


Just a reminder to my friends and colleagues in the Land of the Free - UAVs (drones, RC copters, etc) are NOT permitted to be flown for any reason other than your hobby (i.e. commercial purposes are explicitly NOT allowed). My friends at Guns and Tactics Magazine learned the hard way while at Shot Show this year. Read their story at:

http://www.gunsandtactics.com/tacops-media-dji-phantom-grounded-by-faa

Total crap and no guidance coming from the FAA until at least 2015.

#xl    #uav   #faa   #drones

6 comments:

John said...

What a bureaucratic mess. So, if I use a drone for my hobby, say recording protests, I can neither sell that footage nor give it to my business for use in marketing it's services?

L. Scott Harrell said...

Perhaps your hobby is the videoing of protests? BTW, you might also be a hobby blogger John Lilly. I liked the solution in the article; something to the effect of not in the business of selling video but of transmitting data. LOL!

Dan Larsen said...

This Administration is out of control, and the Democrats in the Senate can't even SPELL "unintended consequences," let alone understand the basic economic effect of them!

John said...

That got me thinking the FCC will eventually claim rights to any video gathered in the air. Just more input nodes for the network. But, imagine Google street view at drone altitude.

L. Scott Harrell said...

Dan Larsen - back from the missing! Good to "see" you again.

Joshua Haarbrink said...

Can't wait to go pro with this thing.  Next: the DJI Innovations S800 or maybe even the S1000!